Lord Rama’s 10 Principles For Happiness – Words Of Wisdom
Following are some selected Words of Wisdom from Rama as relayed in the books on Rama that were written by Shakuntala Bodas.
Happiness is the attitude of your mind. The mind needs to be trained to be at peace and filled with joy. Man is truly rich when he is fearless, unworried and at peace with himself.
No matter what the wealth of a man, if he yearns for more, he is poor. The wealthy man is the one who is beyond desires!
It is not the action, but the motive behind the action that is important! (Example: If a man kills another for his tennis shoes he is considered evil. If a man kills someone to protect children from being killed by another his act is noble and he is a hero to all. Yet in both cases, a man was killed.)
It is best not to criticize, for one gets into the habit of doing so. Learn to see God in everyone and everything!
When we feel or display hard feelings toward others we create an opening for an attack from them and thus we suffer.
Look within for peace and bliss!
Cowardice is sin!
God proves the devotee by means of severe ordeals. He tests his faith, endurance and patience. (I keep asking God, why do you keep testing my patience, you know I do not have any!)
It is the nature of Rama never to leave any person who He comes into contact with him. That person may be pious or sinful, but Rama is the same toward that person. (Rama always refers to Himself in the third person and I can attest to the truth of His statement. It reminds me of Jesus telling His disciples I am with you always! They are/were one and the same and their statements reflect this.)
The Will of God is expressed in the Laws of Nature!
We have to learn how to enjoy the Bliss of the sound sleep state in an awakened state.
The happiest ones in the world are those that have the least number of desires. If you divide the number of desires fulfilled by the total number of desires you have, that will give you a measure of your happiness. If you have one good thing happen to you and you have no desires (1/0) your happiness becomes infinite
Each person has a role to play in the cosmic drama. When a person egoistically determines that he is responsible for the part he plays; he is in trouble. He should perform his part and leave the credit for and the result in Gods hands, mentally relinquishing any egoistic part in the event. To make our will the Lords Will is the only sure way of eliminating the ego. (The reason that this has to be done is because if we have the slightest trace of ego we will never see what we really are, Divine! All that really exists is the One of which we are all a part.)
Rama says attainment of the egoless condition is Realization of the Self!
Life is not fair. Not true, life is completely fair, but not when considered within one lifetime. However, if we all have lived many lives then the experiences of the present life are caused by previous lives and thoughts. Rama said that all desires are eventually fulfilled for everyone, in this lifetime or the next, etc.
The personal ego of a Self-realized man does not disappear. It is under control of the Self. The man acts, appears as a man, seems to take pride in His actions, but the Self is really directing the show.
Surrender completely to the Divine, but have something worthy to surrender.
Total surrender has great strength in it. It brings down Lord Almighty to the side of the devotee; thereby the devotee becomes full of joy and happiness.
The mystic cultivates a spiritual yearning so that he may see his Beloved in all beings in nature and in space too!
Rama’s Ten Principles for Happiness-
Make Shri Rama Your Role Model
1. Remain wakeful and make a constant conscious effort to speak the Truth with your physical and mental organ of speech
2. Sound health is a very useful aid for you in spiritual progress. Thus try to keep your physical body healthy by eating properly and exercising regularly.
3. Chant constantly the name of God with each breath in and out, faithfully and devotedly keeping your goal in mind and remaining wakeful.
4. Avoid the habit of taking intoxicating drugs or alcohol which gives rise to lethargy.
5. No power on earth can take away my cheerfulness, courage and joy. Let this conviction be an inseparable part of your life. Try to always remain cheerful and happy.
6. As far as possible try to be helpful and charitable to others with your physical actions, beneficial positive thoughts and agreeable speech. Do not hurt any ones heart.
7. Holy company, righteous thoughts the study of the sacred scriptures and good behavior are the four things to be practiced respectfully in life always.
8. No matter what inconvenience and pain you may have to undergo, never ever hate others, especially your near and dear ones. Make a continuous effort not to be disturbed, disappointed and restless.
9. Leave aside laziness. With enthusiasm and regularity observe the disciplines of the spiritual practices and other observances for the complete development of the personality.
10. With the remembrance of God and a pure, guileless and cheerful smile, try to perform your daily activities in the Light of Fearlessness, Unity and Bliss of that Supreme Being.
A life lived – based on these ten principles
will become enlightened and perfectly happy!
Bliss comes from within. It dwells in the heart! We must cleanse our hearts of all worldly impurities and then the ever Blissful Lord will shine out with His Glory and Blazing Light through all the pores of our bodies!